I apologize for the late post everyone!
- Research actual spaceship interiors to get a better understanding for your environment
- Think of rest/save points in Borderlands
- What is the purpose of space travel?
- Hero V.S. Villain aspect
- Establish a circumstance of why Overwatch is at the giant hole
- Research oil refineries and platforms; think of different levels of the stage
- Rewatch the film and note the dramatic moments (ex. Cars starting up, Immortal Joe's Ascension, etc.)
- Research throne rooms to get a better understanding for your environment
- Cut down the amount of inspiration/influence (never get too caught up with the timeline of actual events); just simply follow what you envisioned.
- Establish the eye-catching hotspot for your environment
- Try to capture the dramatic moment in the environment (ex. soldiers approaching the booby-trapped area)
- Research military props (ex. black powder and artillery shells)
- Keep the exterior environment in an aerial camera angle to enhance storytelling (ex. traps set)
- Kitbash your sketches together to create interesting architectural designs
- Research some flora and fauna (ex. Weeds, Bushes, Fungi, Vines, etc.)
- Find some middle ground in terms of lab design believability (perhaps add the antagonist in the lab)
- Mind scale, space, and prop arrangement
- Think about scale (aka interactions between people in the market)
- Design an iconic scene in your exterior (ex. peasant town in a castle background)
- Research medieval German architecture; Google Rothenberg as your inspiration source)
For inspiration purposes, here are some very old concept design work for the Final Fantasy Games. Bear in mind they were only used for map layouts. but should give you some inspiration in terms of skill level and draftsmanship. Just Google "Final Fantasy 8/9 Concept Art" and you'll find these sources.
Good luck guys!